Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Canadian immigration proposes stricter marriage requirements

31 March 2011
The Canadian government has proposed a new rule which would require a person coming to stay in Canada with their partner to stay in the relationship for two years before being granted permanent residence.
The stricter requirement is an attempt by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to crack down on fraudulent marriages.Under the new proposal, a spouse or partner from overseas who has been in a relationship with their Canadian partner for less than two years would only be granted conditional permanent residence.If the overseas partner failed to stay in the relationship, or it can be shown that it is not a genuine relationship, conditional permanent residence could be revoked.The USA UK and Australia  already have similar laws in place.The Canadian government has also proposed to introduce a "sponsorship bar". This would prevent those who gained entry to Canada themselves as sponsored partners and spouses from sponsoring a new partner for five years.


  1. Spend 6 Months or a year with an Australian Family
    Make new friends and learn about Australia
    Benefit from exciting study programmes
    Enjoy travelling?

    How would you like the chance to study, work and travel in Australia? Whether you are looking for a gap year job, or just want to work legally abroad, becoming an Au Pair offers you the chance to experience Australian lifestyle through our Au Pair jobs. It's a fun and educational way to spend time in Australia.

    As an Au Pair you will live with your host family, care for the children and join in their daily routine. When you are not involved in baby sitting or child care, you will have free time to meet up with other Au Pairs, study, travel and enjoy the culture and surroundings of your Australian home.

  2. two years is a very long duration. it mean that if someone marries a Canadian and hes/she to want to be a Canadian, they have to wait for 2 years! till then what?

    tier 1

  3. Two years.........., Its long time to get PR.

    Canada Immigration


Country Counter