Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Canadian immigration proposes stricter marriage requirements

31 March 2011
The Canadian government has proposed a new rule which would require a person coming to stay in Canada with their partner to stay in the relationship for two years before being granted permanent residence.
The stricter requirement is an attempt by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to crack down on fraudulent marriages.Under the new proposal, a spouse or partner from overseas who has been in a relationship with their Canadian partner for less than two years would only be granted conditional permanent residence.If the overseas partner failed to stay in the relationship, or it can be shown that it is not a genuine relationship, conditional permanent residence could be revoked.The USA UK and Australia  already have similar laws in place.The Canadian government has also proposed to introduce a "sponsorship bar". This would prevent those who gained entry to Canada themselves as sponsored partners and spouses from sponsoring a new partner for five years.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Australian immigration to favor Irish nationals

Australia's points based immigration system, the General Skilled Migration programme, will see changes that will mean more points for applicants with good English language skills.
Immigrating to Australia will be easier for highly skilled Irish workers, especially for those with experience in medicine, engineering, accounting, and construction.
The Irish are no stranger to Australia's shores: tens of thousands of visas were issued to Irish nationals last year, with that number expected to increase due to rising unemployment in Ireland.
In addition, many parts of Australia will see the need for increases in skilled migration, particularly disaster-struck Queensland. Businesses are desperate to attract foreign workers to assist with the reconstruction efforts after the recent floods.
Australian firms are also set to start a number of natural resource projects in the mining sector, and mining firms are keen to hire as many overseas workers as possible.
Australia is a great destination for people looking to live and work abroad. If you are interested in immigration to Australia, can help. Fill out a free assessment form and one of our representatives will contact you shortly, or give us a call at one of our offices.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Permanent Residency in Malta
Apart from the hospitality and friendliness of the Maltese ,Malta boosts a number of other outstanding features that render it an ideal holiday,business and retirement destination. Malta offers attractive residency conditions, such as no property taxes, lower stamp duty than most other European countries; tax rate 15 percent on remitted income only for foreign residents and double taxation agreement with a number of countries.
Malta's entry in the European Union on the 1st of May 2004 provides further benefits.

Conditions for eligibility:

  • an annual income equivalent to Euro 23300 arising outside Malta or capital equivalent to Euro 350000
  • annual remittance to Account in Malta - Euro 14000 + Euro 2300 in respect of each dependant.*
(* dependant means – the spouse, children under 21 years old or a parent who is financially dependant on the applicant)

Requirements/ supporting documents

    A certificate from the applicants' bankers/accountants certifying either that he/she has an annual income equivalent to 23 300 Euro arising outside Malta or capital equivalent to Euro 350000. It must also certify that the applicant will be able to import into Malta a minimum annual income of Euro 14000 + Euro 2330 in respect of each dependant.
  2. A CONDUCT CERTIFICATE, in respect of each adult (18 years and over)
  3. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE in case of a married couple. Other wise FULL BIRTH CERTIFICATE
  4. 3 passport size photographs and photocopies of the relevant pages of passport of each person whose names appear on the application form
The supporting documents MUST be original documents attested for correctness by a warranted notary public of the country of nationality of applicants and must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of nationality and counter –legalized by an official of the Malta Diplomatic Mission in the country of nationality.
Application form enclosed in attachment.


  • Income Tax benefits - 15 % on all income remitted or received in Malta.
    Minimum tax payment of 4192 Euro per annum (15% x Euro 27950)
  • Freedom of movement within EU countries
  • No tax on your world wide income which is not remitted in Malta
  • No minimum residence stay requirement
  • No inheritance Tax


Immediately an application is approved , the applicant shall pay Euro 4192 tax –by not later than 30 days from such approval. The amount of tax will be held on account and credited for the first year of assessment for which a tax return is required.
A Residence certificate shall be issued by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue, within 30 days from such payment.
Once in possession of a certificate the holder:
shall be required to take up residence by not later than one year from the issue date of the Residency certificate.
must either purchase immovable property valued at not less than 116 500 Euro or
Euro 69900 in case of an apartment ) or lease/rent immovable property for not less than 4150 Euro per annum within 12 months of taking up residence in Malta
Procedure – up till 3 months.
Australia Immigration announces ACT State Migration Plan

Australian Immigration Minister Chris Bowen and Australian Capital Territory Chief Minister Jon Stanhope have announced the ACT State Migration Plan, part of an initiative to attract skilled immigrants to the State to try and deal with labor shortages.
"State Migration Plans are part of the Gillard Government's continued commitment to supporting the Australian economy by attracting skilled migrants who can positively contribute to our workforce," Bowen said.
The implementation of State Migration Plans will provide flexibility for state and territory governments to nominate skilled migrants in a broader range of occupations than are currently offered on the Skilled Occupation List," he added.
The Australian Capital Territory, or ACT for short, is the capital territory of Australia and is located on the south-eastern section of the Australian mainland. It is also the smallest self-governing internal territory.
"The ACT has amongst the strongest economy of any jurisdiction in Australia with extremely low unemployment," Mr Stanhope said.
"This has led to skills shortages in some areas and the State Migration Plan will complement ACT Government initiatives to helpalleviate these shortages," he added. According to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, State Migration Plans are agreements between individual states and territories and the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship. The agreements specify the total number of applicants that each state and territory can nominate and what occupations are eligible for nomination.
While state and territory governments have always been able to nominate applicants through the General Skilled Migration Program, the introduction of State Migration Plans is intended to "improve the targeting of this part of the program."
The ACT agreement follows an agreement with the Australian state of Victoria. More agreements with other states are expected in the following weeks.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Canada,s Work Permit

A foreign national who wishes to work in Canada generally requires a work permit . Work permits allow people to quickly begin working in Canada and can be a stepping stone toward Canadian Permanent Resident visas.
A work permit is generally required for a foreign national who intends to "work" in Canada. For Canadian immigration purposes, work is defined as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labor market. Any activity that does not take an opportunity from a Canadian to be employed or gain work experience is not considered work eg: volunteer work or work done by phone/internet where the person is employed by a company outside Canada.
There are 2 roads to obtain a work permit:
·                                 1. Labor Market Opinion (LMO) based Work Permits
Some work permits require an LMO from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). Upon reception of an application from the Canadian employer, HRSDC will evaluate the impact on the Canadian labor market using factors such as wages and working conditions and the availability of Canadians or permanent residents to do the work in question. A positive LMO will only be given to an applicant where the impact on Canada's labor market is likely to be neutral or positive. The positive LMO is required in order to receive the work permit.
·                                 2. LMO Exempt Work Permits
Some types of work permits may be issued without the need for a positive LMO. The criteria for these LMO exempt work permits are very specific and clearly defined. Exemptions fall into two main categories: those based on International Agreements, and those based on Canadian Interests.
A. International Agreements: example North America Free Trade Agreements (NAFTA)
NAFTA facilitates temporary entry for citizens of the United States and Mexico who are involved in business, the trade of goods or services, or in investment activities. NAFTA removes the need for an LMO for all business people covered by the agreement. Most work permits under this category can be obtained at a Port of Entry.

There are four categories of NAFTA work permits: (1) business visitors, (2) professionals; (3) intra-company transferees and (4) traders and investors.

In addition to NAFTA, there are other international agreements that facilitate the entry of foreign workers, to which Canada is a party.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

 Ireland Green Card Permit Scheme

A Green Card Permit is an employment permit issued to a person which allows the individual to work in Ireland with the specified employer in an occupation where skills shortages exist. It is issued for an initial period of two years, after which it can normally be renewed indefinitely. A job offer with a bona-fide company registered for trading in Ireland is required.
The permit allows an individual to apply for immediate family reunification and time spent under the permit can count towards permanent residency.
There is no need for a labour market assessment test prior to applying for the permit.
Either an employer or an employee can apply for the permit. The employee must possess the relevant qualifications, skills or experience for the desired employment.
Occupation Categories

There are two categories of occupations under which the Green Card Scheme can be applied for:
  • The annual salary is EUR 60,000 a year or more (excluding bonuses). In this case, the Green Card Permit is available for all occupations, other than those which are contrary to the public interest.
  • The annual salary is EUR 30,000 - EUR 59,999 (excluding bonuses). In this case, the Green Card Permit is only good for a restricted number  of strategically important occupations
To receive a Green Card Permit, an individual must have a job offer from a bona-fide company registered with the Companies Registration Office and the Revenue Commissioners. The company must be trading in Ireland. The offer must be on company-headed paper, dated within the previous sixty days, and the offer must be for a period of two or more years.
The offer must specify the following:
  • A full description of the proposed employment
  • Starting date of employment
  • Annual salary, not including bonuses
  • Information on required qualifications, skills or experience required for the employment
  •  Fee
  • First time application: EUR 1,000
  • Indefinite Renewal after two years: EUR 1,500

Monday, October 11, 2010

UK Immigration - Dependents may not qualify for indefinite leave to remain in future

There have been proposals that in future may result in adult dependents of skilled workers under say the Tier 1 visa and Tier 2 visa scheme not being able to apply for indefinite leave to remain. In most cases dependents over the age of eighteen can apply for indefinite leave to remain at the same time as their parents. In future children of Tier 1 visa and Tier2  visa holders may have to come under another visa category to be able to stay in the  UK  They may, for example, be able to remain as Tier 4 students or try and come under the Tier 1 visa or Tier 2  visa scheme themselves. As it has become more difficult to come under the Tier 1  and Tier 2 visa scheme many children of skilled workers will find it difficult if not impossible to remain in the UK. If the Tier 1 post study work scheme is also abolished in future this will make it even more difficult for dependents over eighteen years of old to remain in the UK.

It is not certain when the new requirements will come in. These proposals still have to be debated by Parliament. If you are concerned that your family may not meet the requirements for indefinite leave to remain in future you should seriously consider applying as soon as possible and hopefully avoid tougher immigration  requirements for permanent residence in future. It should also be noted that from July 2011 it is likely that you will no longer be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain. You will need to come under the more complicated "path to citizenship" scheme.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Apply for the United States Green Card Lottery now

Tens of thousands of people every year are granted a Green Card under the Diversity Visa Lottery. If you have always dreamed of living and working in the United States, it may be worth submitting your details for the 2012 Diversity Visa Lottery (otherwise known as the Green Card Lottery).

The submission period for the DV-2012 Green Card Lottery started on 5 October 2010 and lasts through 3 November 2012..If you are a citizen of a country with low levels of immigration into the United States. The government provides 50,000 Diversity Visas every year.A qualified US immigration lawyer will make sure that your application contains no mistakes, ensuring that your application will not be denied based on inaccurate information.

Tens of thousands of people every year are granted a Green Card under the Diversity Visa Lottery. If you have always dreamed of living and working in the United States, it may be worth submitting your details for the 2012 Diversity Visa Lottery (otherwise known as the Green Card Lottery).

If you are a citizen of a country with low levels of immigration into the United States, you may be eligible for entry in the Green Card Lottery. If selected you can then apply for permanent residence. The government provides 50,000 Diversity Visas every year.
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced they will raise fees for most US immigration services. Only the naturalization fee will remain unaffected. The increase is an attempt to close the $200 million deficit for fiscal year 2010-11.

Most fees are expected to increase by an average of about 10 percent. In some cases, fees will actually drop and fee waivers will be expanded to a number of "new categories". The adjusted fees will go into effect on 23 November, 2010

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Canada helps immigrants with website in 11 languages

A new website in 11 different languages makes it easier for Canadian Immigrants to find community service information.
The 'In my language', developed by the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI), which represents more than 200 settlement agencies in Ontario provides an electronic library of translated content which will assist newcomers in adapting to life in Canada.
"The In my language website is an excellent resource for newcomers to Ontario, said Jason Kenney, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism.
The website has received funds of $1.4 million from the Government of Canada.
"Newcomers now have a website where they can get the information they need in the language of their choice," he added.
"This multilingual website will give newcomers to Ontario a head start on accessing information on housing, health care, legal advice, community services, and language training across the province," said MP Paul Calandra.
The website has content in the following languages: English, French, Chinese, Punjabi, Urdu, Spanish, Tagalog, Arabic, Gujarati, Tamil and Russian.
"Helping newcomers get settled is the key to their success," said MP Bob Dechert. "Settlement information needs to be accessible, and this initiative is a significant step in fulfilling that aim."
Besides immigrants, other users of the website include community organizations, schoolboards, police services, and the healthcare industry. The new website has multilingual information on housing, healthcare, employment, schooling and other important topics.
Government funding of the new website was made possible through the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement (COIA), which was signed in 2005. Through this agreement, the Government of Canada is investing $428 million in Ontario for settlement services for immigrants.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

UK Immigration fees increases in October and November 2010

UK Immigration has announced that there will be further immigration fees increases. Some of the fee increases will occur in 1 October 2010 which covers UK visa fees that are "below cost". The majority of the increases if approved by Parliament will occur in November 2010. These further fee increases are somewhat controversial coming on top of some large increases in fees on 6 April 2010. If you are a national of a non-EU Country and you wish to visit, study, work or gain entry to the UK or some other reason it is likely that you will have to pay higher UK visa fees.
This is another attempt by the UK Government to raise funds. You cannot justify these fee increases to simply cover the costs of dealing with immigration applications. The fees are set considerably higher than the fees required to pay for the cost of processing  immigration applications. The Government has in fact said in the past that increased fees also help pay for other costs that they say are a result of  immigration the UK. There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that especially during the boom years increased immigration was of enormous benefit to the UK and that helped to fuel the economic boom in the UK
The UK Border Agency had the following to say:
"….The UK Border Agency believes that the proposals to increase fees continue to strike the right balance between maintaining secure and effective border controls and ensuring that our fees structure does not inhibit the UK,s ability to attract migrants and visitors who make a valued contribution.…"
 UK Tier visa fee increases are as follows:
  • Tier 1  visa at Consular Post from outside the UK £690 to £750
  • Tier 1  visa from within the  UK £840 to £850
  • Tier 2  visa fee from £270 to £350
  • Tier 2  in-country from £475 to £500
  • Tier 4  visa from £199 to £220
  • Tier 4  visa from within the UK kept at £357
  • Tier 5 visa from £128 to £130
You will see that the greatest increases in UK immigration fees have been for applicants applying for Tier 1  visas and  Tier 2 visas from outside the UK This will affect skilled immigration into the UK.
Visit Visa fee increases are as follows:
  • Short term visit visas generally for up to six months from £68 to £70
  • Visit visa - long 2 year from £230 to £245
  • Visit visa - long 5 year from £420 to £450
  • Visit visa - long 10 year from £610 to £650
  • Settlement visas (permanent residence) increases from £644 to £750
Increase in dependent visa fees to 20-30% of the principal applicant fee
If you wish to apply for a visa and wish to avoid paying increased UK Government visa fees you should consider applying sooner rather than later. If you need to pay increased visa fees both for yourself and family members the additional costs may be quite considerable.

UK Immigration Minister speaks on UK immigration policy changes

UK Immigration Minister Damian Green spoke recently at the Royal Commonwealth Society in London about immigration. The Immigration Minister said that the Government wishes to "maximise" the benefits of immigration. The contents of the immigration minister's speech had already been widely reported in the news ahead of the actual speech.
The UK immigration minister went on to say that the UK has benefitted from immigration but 'will only continue to do so if it is properly controlled'. He also said:
'This means that the unsustainable levels of net migration seen in recent years must be brought down.'
UK Immigration has done research recently on immigration into the UK and has published a new report about immigration called "The migrant journey". The immigration report looks at what has happened to immigrants who came into the UK in 2004. According to UK immigration the largest group of migrants were the 186,000 students on student visas. The immigration minister went onto say that more than twenty percent of migrants were still in the UK five years later:
'We need to understand more clearly why a significant proportion of students are still here more than 5 years after their arrival. And we also need a system which can scrutinise effectively, and if necessary take action against, those whose long-term presence would be of little or no economic benefit.'
Immigration Minister Damian Green also said that some Tier 1 highly skilled work route are not doing specialised jobs:
'I was also struck by some of the individual applications I saw under the [Tier 2] skilled worker category: people running takeaway restaurants and production-line workers on salaries in the low £20,000s. These are not the sort of jobs we talk about when we think of bringing in skilled immigrants who have talents not available among our own workforce or the unemployed...
'We will not make Britain prosperous in the long term by telling our own workers "don't bother to learn new skills, we can bring them all in from overseas".'
The UK immigration minister also defended the controversial annual limit on immigration:
'We absolutely need sustainable immigration levels. This will relieve pressure on public services, and stop immigration being such a delicate political issue.
'At the same time, we must be confident enough to say Britain is open for business and study to those who will make this a better country, and a more open society.'
UK immigration has provided enormous economic benefits to the UK economy. Many people have commented that recent changes which have made immigration to the UK more difficult and more expensive will caused harm in the long term to the UK economy. It seems that changes in future will make it more difficult still to obtain a UK visa

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Australian Universities see drop in student visas from China

The number of students from China applying for student visas to study at Australian universities for the following summer has dropped dramatically. Changes to Australian skilled immigration are thought to be the cause of the decline in student visa applications.

Chinese student visa applications to Australian universities have dropped by 40 percent for the next summer session. Technical and Further Education colleges have seen a decline of 80 percent in Chinese student visa applications.
The marked drop in student applications could cause a crisis in Australia's ducation industry as Chinese students represent approximately $6 billion in revenue. Chinese students make up an estimated 27 percent of Australia's foreign student population.
The drop in Chinese students is blamed on recent changes to Australian immigration law. On 01 July 2010, the Australian government reduced by 50 percent the number of skilled occupations which are eligible under its popular General Skilled Migration programme.
The Australian skilled occupation list while much reduced since 1 July 2010 has far more occupations on it than the Canadian occupation list. The Australian skilled occupation list has 181 occupations compared to 29 occupations under the Canadian Skilled worker programme.
Canada, the United States and a number of other Countries are trying to attract overseas students as well. Australia needs to work hard to continue to attract students from China and around the World.
Canadian Immigration Minister encourages Chinese immigration to Canada

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney visited Beijing recently one of the stops during his visit to Asia. He mentioned that China was "…the number one source country for immigrants to Canada…" The immigration minister went onto to say:
"Canada has benefited enormously from immigration from China."
Immigration Minister Kenney also had the following say about Chinese visitors to Canada:
  • The first quarter of 2010 saw China ranked first in visas and extensions issued to visitors.
  • There were14% more visitors from China in the first quarter of this year compared to the first quarter of 2009.
  • There were 46% more visitors from China in the first quarter of 2009 compared to the first quarter of 2005.
Immigration Minister Kenney also had the following to say:
"That means more Chinese nationals are visiting their family here in Canada than ever before. With the implementation of the Approved Destination Status, which allows Chinese travel agents to advertise and organize tour groups to Canada, that number will only rise."
There has been a substantial increase in the number of students studying in Canada. There were 50,000 students living in Canada in 2009. This represents an increase in 300% in the number of Chinese students living in Canada in the last ten years. The Canadian immigration minister also had the following to say about Chinese students in Canada:
"We are committed to increasing the number of Chinese students attending Canadian colleges and universities;"
"…and in the course of my visit to Beijing, I made an important announcement about how our government will encourage even more students to study in Canada."
The Immigration minister mentioned that while Canadian Immigration wished to encourage immigration of genuine Chinese students, visitors and immigrants the Canadian Government also wanted to reduce levels of immigration fraud:
"While many consultants do good work, we want people to know that it's not necessary to hire a consultant to come to Canada."
"And with the help of the Chinese government, we want to put a stop to the ones who are engaging in fraud."
The list of cities around the World that the Immigration Minister Kenney included in his trip include, Paris, Delhi. Manila, Canberra and Sydney. This shows that Canada is serious about attracting the right sorts of immigrants from around the World.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chile is a country on the rise. This phrase may be taken both literally and figuratively, as the Andes mountains to its east push the land up to some of the highest elevations of South America, and as its political life, economy, and culture are improving now in ways that may have seemed impossible ten years ago. Indeed, Chile in the 21st Century is one of the single most exciting, beautiful, and worthwhile destinations in the Americas, and spending time there as either a tourist or as a student will reward you much more than you likely ever thought possible.
There is no way to begin a discussion on studying abroad in Chile without first addressing the issue of the country's capital, Santiago. It "was founded by Pedro de Valdivia on February 12, 1541 with the name Santiago de Nueva Extremadura. The founding ceremony was held on Huelén Hill (later renamed Cerro Santa Lucia). Valdivia chose the location of Santiago because of its moderate climate and the ease with which it could be defended -- the Mapocho River split the area in two, and rejoined further downstream, forming an island." Even today, the natural beauty of Santiago is apparent to residents and visitors alike, despite the fact that it has grown to become home to nearly 6 million people, "equivalent to nearly 40% of the total population of the country, making it one of the largest cities in Latin America."
Santiago is a bustling city with two symphonies, a thriving popular music scene, world-class museums, a famously breathtaking view of the snow-capped Andes Mountains, and several dozen universities. Of course, there is much more to Chile than its capital, and the fact that Chile is home to such a world-class urban center as well as gorgeous natural environments makes it a perfect place in which to study for both city-lovers as well as those more enamored of the natural world. For the latter, there is no better place than Patagonia. "The Patagonia region, located in the southern end of South America, embraces partially the territory of Argentina and Chile. Since it was discovered, the single mention of its name wakes up the fascination of the distant, virgin, and unknown...In Chile the Patagonia travels from the VIII Region and down below to Tierra del Fuego island embracing areas of great natural attractiveness and unsuspected beauty, provided with volcanoes, lakes and forests." So for those with a love of adventure and a yearning to explore some of the most pristine, exotic, and exciting locales in the world, Patagonia is the perfect place to visit.
Chile is also known for its wine industry, which is one of the most vigorous in the Americas. In fact, the land and climate in certain parts of Chile are so good for growing wine grapes that some of the most influential French and American wine companies have invested heavily in the Chilean industry. The result of this infusion of both money and knowledge makes Chile an exciting, enriching, educational place to study.
As has been mentioned earlier, Chile wasn't always the peaceful and prosperous nation that it is today. Indeed, it was the home of one of the most despised dictatorships of the second half of the 20th Century -- that of General Augusto Pinochet. Today, however, Chile is home to a democratically elected government, a strong economy, and a thriving cultural life. Combine these things with the fact that Santiago is literally full of universities and the only possible conclusion to reach is that Chile is a great place to study abroad.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Germany Study Visa '

All persons who wish to study at a high school, college or university in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit.
A visa is absolutely necessary under the immigration laws there; Citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens may apply for their residence permit after entering Germany without a visa. All visas are not the same. A ?tourist visa? cannot be converted into a ?student visa? and as a tourist, you are not eligible to study in Germany.
The visa must be issued before you can enter the country; you should therefore apply for it in good time. The responsible body is the German Embassy or Consulate General in your country, which can also provide you with further information. 

Three Types of Visa for International Students

--- A language course visa, which cannot be subsequently converted into a student visa. It is valid only for the duration of the course.
--- A three-month study applicant?s visa, which is valid if you have not yet obtained university admission. After admission, it must be converted as quickly as possible into a resident permit for student purposes at the office for foreigners? affairs.
--- The visa for study purposes, valid for one year. In order to obtain this visa, you must provide proof of admission and financial support for the duration of study.

Documents Required

-- A valid passport
-- Passport Size photos
-- Entitlement to university admission, as recognized in Germany (usually a high school diploma or graduation examination certificate)
-- Evidence of previous academic performance
-- Proof that complete financial support for one year is guaranteed
The visa application is submitted at the German Embassy or the German Consulate in your country of residence ? preferably as early as possible. German Embassy or Consulate personnel can provide further information.

Pakistan Visit  Visa Requirments 

Who requires a visa?
Required by all except the following:
(a) holders of a Pakistan Origin Card (POC) regardless of nationality for unlimited stay;
(b) nationals of Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago for an unlimited period;
(c) nationals of Iceland, Maldives and Zambia for visits of up to a maximum of 3 months;
(d) nationals of Nepal and Samoa, and holders of Chinese passports issued in Hong Kong, for visits of up to 30 days;
(e) transit passengers continuing their journey within 24 hours by the same or first connecting aircraft, provided they are holding onward or return documentation and not leaving the airport;
(f) holders of UN Laissez-passer.

Note: Visitors whose stay in Pakistan exceeds 30 days must report to the nearest Foreigners Registration Office for registration.

Note: Travellers are currently advised against travel to Pakistan until further notice unless there are compelling reasons to do so. Travel to the North West Frontier Province, Baluchistan and the Northern Areas are particularly ill advised.

Restricted entry and transit: The Government of Pakistan refuses entry to nationals of Israel, even for transit. Nationals of Afghanistan are refused entry if their passports or tickets show evidence of transit or boarding in India.

What documents will be required?
Passport valid for 6 months beyond the intended length of stay required by all.

Application to: Consulate (or Consular section at Embassy or High Commission); see Contact Addresses section.

Application requirements: (a) Original valid passport, plus one photocopy. (b) One application form. (c) Two passport-size photos. (d) Confirmed return/onward ticket. (e) Proof of sufficient funds for duration of stay. (f) Fee payable by cash or postal order only. (g) For business trips, a letter of invitation from a company in Pakistan.

Time required to issue visa:
Depends on nationality (in UK, visas are normally granted within 24-48 hours). Enquire at the nearest Consulate or Embassy. Pilgrim visas require 2 months processing time.

What is the cost of a visa?
Price of visa varies according to nationality. For UK nationals, prices are: Single-entry (£45); Double-entry (£60); Multiple-entry (£81). These prices are identical to those issued for the Visa for Media Professionals, which must be routed through the Information Division of the Pakistan High Commission. For Pakistanis holding dual nationality, prices are: Adult: (£24) Child (up to 18 years old): £12; valid for stays of up to 1 year. Applicants with parents holding Pakistani passports get the same concession, provided they produce the original detailed birth certificate and their parents’ Pakistani passports. Pilgrim (Single-entry): £45. This is issued to those wishing to visit holy places (Shrines/Gurdawaras) in Pakistan and is allowed for groups of pilgrims, normally restricted to a specified period. Business: £68 (Single-entry); £90 (Double-entry); £122 (Multiple-entry). Certain nationals are issued visas free of charge, but they must be obtained prior to travel. For further information, consult the High Commission or Embassy.

How long is the visa valid for?
6 months from the date of issue for stays of up to 3 months. A multiple-entry visa allows six journeys in a total period not exceeding 1 year, with a maximum 3-month stay at any one time.

Other information:
1: Yellow fever vaccination certificate is required of all travellers arriving within 6 days from any part of a country in which yellow fever is endemic. Infants under 6 months of age are exempt if the mother’s vaccination certificate shows her to have been vaccinated prior to the child’s birth. Countries and areas within the endemic zone are regarded as infected.
2: Following WHO guidelines issued in 1973, a cholera vaccination certificate is no longer a condition of entry to Pakistan. However, cholera is a serious risk in this country and precautions are essential. Up-to-date advice should be sought before deciding whether these precautions should include vaccination, as medical opinion is divided over its effectiveness. See the Health appendix.
3: Vaccination against typhoid is advised.
4: Malaria risk exists throughout the year in all areas below 2000m (6560ft). The malignant falciparum strain is present and has been reported as chlorine-resistant.

Food & drink: All water should be regarded as being potentially contaminated. Water used for drinking, brushing teeth or making ice should have first been boiled or otherwise sterilised. Milk is non-pasteurised and should be boiled. Powdered or tinned milk is available and is advised, but make sure that it is reconstituted with pure water. Avoid dairy products that are likely to have been made from non-pasteurised milk. Only eat well cooked meat and fish, preferably served hot. Salad and mayonnaise may carry increased risk. Vegetables should be cooked and fruit peeled.

Other risks: Hepatitis A and E occur and hepatitis B is endemic. Trachoma and typhoid fever are common. Between June and January, Japanese encephalitis is a risk in rural areas. Dengue fever may also occur.

Rabies is present. For those at high risk, vaccination before arrival should be considered. If you are bitten, seek medical advice without delay. For more information, consult the Health appendix.

Health care: Medical facilities can be very limited. There is no reciprocal health agreement with the UK. Travellers are strongly advised to take out full medical insurance before departure.

Note: A certificate proving the visitor to be HIV-negative is required if planning on staying over 1 year in the country.

Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest Pakistan embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Pakistan.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Too many people on Tier 4 student visas:UK Immigration Minister

Immigration Minister Damian Green has said that levels of student immigration under the Tier 4 student visa were "unsustainable". There have been rumours that the popular Tier 1 Post Study Work visa that enables graduate students to stay for an extra two years in the UK to work and perhaps gain a longer term highly skilled Tier 1 General visa or Tier 2 General visa will be discontinued.
The Immigration Minister has suggested that the UK is not attracting the best students as only half of the students will be attending University level courses. UK Home Office research suggests that one fifth of students are still in the UK after five years.
Immigration Minister Green had the following to say:
"We can't assume that everyone coming here has skills the UK workforce cannot offer."
"We need to tighten the regulations so that every student coming in is benefitting us"
On a positive note the Immigration Minister had the following to say:
"I don't want to interfere with the success stories of our universities."
It is likely that there will be a reform of the UK student visa system and a limit on the number of Tier 4 student visas issued in future. The UK Government has said that two fifths of students in the UK Home office sample group remain in the UK after five years. Work visas such as the Tier 1 Post Study work visa, the highly skilled Tier 1 General visa and Tier 2 General visa will also be looked at. According to the UK Office for National Statistics UK immigration increased in 2009 by 33,000 to 196,000.
Immigration Minister Green said that the Coalition Government had taken over an immigration system from the previous Labour Government that was "largely out of control":
"What these figures tell me is that we also need to look at all the other routes [aside from employment] by which people come into this country, maybe for education, for family reunion reasons and also, in particular, routes that lead to permanent settlement,"
Sally Hunt the general secretary of the University and College Union had the following to say:
"Populist policies on immigration might play well domestically, but on the global stage we risk looking foolish.
"Damian Green is making his speech today after returning from a trip to India where he encouraged students to come to the UK."
If you wish to gain entry on the Tier 4 student visa or remain under Tier 1 Post Study Work you should consider applying sooner rather than later. It seems likely that there will be limits on Tier 4 student visas in future and it is very possible if not likely that the Tier 1 Post Study work visa will be abolished.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

New Zealand  Visit Visa 

See full size image

Visiting New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup 2011

Rugby World Cup 2011.
If you are planning to visit New Zealand in 2011 for the Rugby World Cup you may need a visa. If you are from a country that is not on our visa-free list you will need to apply for a visitor visa before you come to New Zealand.
If you are from a visa-free country, you do not need a visa. On arrival in New Zealand you will need to have evidence of funds for the length of your visit, and an onward ticket. If you have ever been deported from any country or have criminal convictions you may be stopped from entering New Zealand.

Regardless of whether you require a visa or not, you will also need to meethealth requirements and character requirements, and be considered to be agenuine visitor, before you will be allowed entry to New Zealand.

If you are concerned about your eligibility to enter New Zealand because you do not meet the health or character requirements (such as criminal convictions or previously being deported from another country), please contact your nearest Immigration New Zealand (INZ) branch.

You should check the INZ website regularly, as policies are subject to review and may change.

All visitors entering New Zealand

All visitors to New Zealand must meet the requirements of an acceptable standard of health and good character, and be a genuine visitor. You will also need:

  • evidence that you have plans and the means to leave New Zealand within the period of your permit. Suitable evidence may include:
    • a valid ticket out of New Zealand,or
    • written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for
  • evidence that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in New Zealand. This means you have a minimum of:
    • NZ$1000 per person per month of the visit, or
    • NZ$400 per person per month if accommodation has already been paid for – we will require proof of prepayment, such as hotel prepaid vouchers
  • a passport valid for three months beyond the date you are leaving New Zealand.

How to apply for a visitor's visa

This section tells you how to apply for your visa. It includes useful checklists to help you supply the right information when you apply for your visa.

You will need to complete the Visitor's Visa/Permit Application (INZ 1017) PDF. The Visitor's Visa/Permit Guide (INZ 1018) PDF will help you with completing this application form.

Each completed application form must be submitted to the designated INZ office for your country, with:

  • a passport valid for three months beyond the date you are leaving New Zealand
  • one recent passport-sized photograph of you
  • the appropriate fee
  • your confirmed travel itinerary and evidence of onward travel
  • evidence of funds.

Your application can include your partner, and any dependent children up to the age of 19 years.

Once we conduct an initial assessment of your visitor's visa application we may request a personal interview or ask you for additional documentation, such as a police certificate or a Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1007) PDF or other information.

What would prevent me getting a visa?

If your application is incomplete when you lodge it, or you submit false information or you do not meet our requirements, we may refuse to accept your application or we may decline it.

Some people who have committed serious crimes will not be allowed into New Zealand at all. Section 7(1) of the Immigration Act 1987 outlines what disqualifies an applicant in these terms.

I am accepted

Got your visa or permit? Here are some things you might like to know.

Arriving at the New Zealand border visa-free

If you are a visa-free visitor you apply for a permit at the border by filling in your arrival card. You will be allowed to stay for three months or six months if you are from the United Kingdom.

If you would like to stay for longer in New Zealand, as a visitor, or to study or to find a job, then you will need to contact us either online, by phone, or by visiting an Immigration office in New Zealand.

After you arrive

If you are granted a visitor’s visa and permit you are required to meet certain conditions during your stay.

  • You may not work while you are in New Zealand (unless you apply for and are granted a work permit).
  • You may not study for more than three months while you are in New Zealand (unless you apply for and are granted a student permit).
  • While in New Zealand you must keep within New Zealand’s laws.
  • You must only stay in New Zealand for the time allowed by your permit.

If you do not comply with any of these conditions, you may be required to leave the country immediately.

Are you already here and want to stay longer?

If your permit is about to expire and you want to stay for longer, you must obtain a further permit as you must be on a valid permit at all times while in New Zealand. 

To obtain a further permit, you must meet the current policy requirements of the permit type you wish to apply for. Please refer to visitstudy, and work, for further information and application forms.

Medical insurance

We recommend that you have comprehensive medical insurance for the duration of your visit to New Zealand. If you are from the United Kingdom or Australia you do not need medical insurance as you are entitled to the same medical coverage as a New Zealand citizen or resident, thanks to our reciprocal health agreements.

Country Counter